Acing The Kitchen – A Fun Q&A

Acing The Kitchen is out now!! Go check it out and let me know your thoughts!!

So, when did you start this project and how did you get the idea?

I started this in early December. I don’t know, it just kind of came to me. I remember sitting on the couch and getting my mom’s opinion about it, she loved it because this cookbook really shows a entire new side to me. That night I made the cover and the polenta video and it just happened from there!

How hard is it to make these videos?

Oh it’s very hard. It’s crazy to try and get all the pictures I need, plus edit them while cooking and then on top of that make the dish! It’s an exhausting process. After I’d finish getting the pictures and making the meal, I couldn’t just let the content sit, so, I’d get on my computer and make the video. I’m such a perfectionist and I like things to be done! πŸ€ͺ I wanted the pictures to look nice too, so my kitchen constantly had to be clean, I had to use a lot of dishes (shout out to my family for pitching in with the cleanup, thank you 😊) and getting the right angles so there’d be no shadows was also challenging. But, as hard as it was, it’s a super cool process. Watching the video come together in the end makes it all worth it. I had a lot of encouragement from my family and my cousin so, that helped me keep going. Thank you family, I appreciate you!!

What’s your favorite recipe?

My favorite recipe has to be the Chickpea Fritters, not my favorite video, but my favorite recipe. The fritters are so delicious and they are pretty simple to make. They’re crispy and flavorful and the sauce brings it all together. They are definitely a family favorite!!

What’s your favorite video?

Around The World Tapas for sure! That was a nightmare video to make, oh my god, I’d never do it again! πŸ€ͺ But it came together so well, I truly love that video.

When did you know that you were finished with the cookbook?

Honestly, I’d have made this cookbook 100 videos long. I have so many more recipes to share, but, I really didn’t think people would watch it if it was any longer and I don’t blame them, that’d be a long long post. πŸ€ͺ I think I was done making food videos and I started a few new projects so, I was ready to move on. I felt it was pretty well rounded and had a lot of variety, I don’t know, something inside of me was like, “It’s complete.”

Did you try any new recipes for this cookbook?

Oh for sure. I’d say half of them are new and half are classic recipes I’ve made a lot. The one that was most out of comfort zone was the “Authentic Ramen”. I despise instant ramen, but my friend kind of inspired me to give real ramen a shot. That recipe, honestly, surprised me.

So, how about some fun cooking questions, in general?

Let’s do it!!

Favorite food?

That’s such a broad question πŸ˜‚. I love pasta and power bowls because of all the variations. But, my favorite veggie is broccolini and my favorite cuisine is Italian for sure.

When did you start cooking and why?

I’d been watching a lot of Tasty videos, I still watch Tasty a lot for cooking inspiration. I highly recommend that app to anyone no matter where you are in your cooking journey, it has so much content. But anyways, I was 11, I think, and I just decided to go for it. I used to loved to bake, so I was familiar with cooking and such. But trying savory for the first time, I just immediately loved how you didn’t have to measure everything and how you could be done in such a short amount of time. I made Power Bowls as my first dish and here we are!

Does your family like to cook?

Yes, we all do! My brother not as much, but my parents and I love it! We cook together a lot, breakfast, lunch, dinner; you name it! It’s such a fun activity to do together, we all have our special things we like to make. My mom is the master of childhood favorites, my dad is the best sous chef and he makes an excellent pasta, power bowls are my thing and my brother, well he sticks with hummus and pesto and that’s it! πŸ˜‚

Craziest kitchen accident?

Oh jeez, long story and traumatic experience short πŸ˜‚, I’d just got an immersion blender and I was setting it up. I plugged it in, my left index finger was under the blade and you can guess what happened next. I ended up having 14 stitches in my little finger. Such a painful experience, living with 14 stitches for weeks was not pleasant, having them removed was just the worst experience of my life. Ugh, it sucked and my finger has the weirdest scar, it still hurts at times. I got super lucky in not damaging any nerves or worse, losing my finger; thank you Universe! I was back in the kitchen soon after, I’ve just never touched or looked at an immersion blender since then, it’s been almost 2 years. πŸ˜‚

Any advice to new cooks out there?

I’d say, start by cooking what you love. Follow a recipe to begin with, but don’t rely on it. The best part of cooking is the creative zone you get in while making a meal; following a recipe doesn’t give you that rush of creative energy. Learn your knife skills really well and trust your instincts. Also, do NOT put your finger under any blades and then plug in the machine πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.

Any future cookbooks?

For sure, I think they’ll be themed and I have a few ideas. This is just the beginning, I hope people go try some recipes! In a time where life is very strange, cooking is something we can really hold onto.

So, have to ask, you said you started some new projects…any hints?

Oh yes, about that πŸ˜‚. I’d be excited for April if I were a reader. That’s all you get for now 😊.

That’s it for today! Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed Acing The Kitchen and this Q&A! Here’s to cheffing!! Please let me know your thoughts about this Q&A and let me know if you have any questions, I’d so love to hear! And if you try any of the recipes, I want to see!!! Lots of love to all of you on your cooking journey! Be fearless and free -Ace

30 comments on “Acing The Kitchen – A Fun Q&A

1. nushhe says:

I love white sauce pasta a lot!!! Loved ur answersβ€β€β€πŸ™‚I love cooking, but I am not even allowed in the kitchen. I actually love bakery πŸ˜…

Awe thank you!!! I’m so glad to hear that, haha! You should be, cooking is such a life skill!! I so appreciate your kind words and support, means a lot! Much love friend πŸ–€πŸ€—

1. nushhe says:

😘Yeah IK…. Gonna buy an oven and going to bake cupcakes and buttercream cakes

You do it! πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ§πŸ§πŸ°πŸ°

3. nushhe says:

πŸ‘πŸŽ‚

Wow! Yummy post 😊!
    I love cooking! I mean I cook a lot. I am more into baking!

Thank you so much Riya!!! I’m so glad to hear that and your support means so much to me!! Ah yes, I loved baking at first but now, I definitely love cooking more. Big hugs and love friend, you’re awesome πŸ–€πŸ€—

2. nushhe says:

Same here! πŸ˜€

😊! Yeah…. I mean baking is my strong arm! I Definitely know how to burn my cakes but I still eat em!

Haha!!! I’m sure you’re an excellent baker πŸ‘©β€πŸ³

4. I love to cook and to eat. Congratulations on your cookbook, Cooking is an art that I love as well.

Thank you so much Jay!! Yes, well said, it is such a creative art. I truly appreciate your support and kind words, it means a lot! Much love my friend πŸ–€πŸ€—

5. ouchh!!! for that cooking accident, so grateful you are ok and back in the kitchen to create these amazing recipes and the videos! That is an art and skill at so many levels.

Thank you so much!! Yes it was scary, but a good lesson to learn, wish I could’ve learned it easier πŸ€ͺ. I truly truly appreciate your support, love and kind words; you mean a lot to me!!! Much love friend πŸ’›πŸ€—

6. I am so proud of you !!!

Awe thank you! I’m touched 😊, that means a lot to me!!

7. Ladysag77 says:

I really enjoy chickpeas too, I make a veggie bowtie pasta with mushrooms onions and garlic with them in an olive oil based sauce with basil. What a fun post and best of everything gor you whole you share your culinary adventures with usπŸ˜‹πŸ™Œβ€

Thank you so much!!! Yum, that sounds amazing, I might have to recreate it! Seriously!! Your kind support and loving words always make my heart smile and light my soul on fire! Lots of love sister πŸ’›πŸ€—

1. Ladysag77 says:

Lots of love right back πŸ”₯πŸ§‘πŸ’› soul fires, that’s definitely my energy πŸ˜‰

I really love these q&a’s Ace cause they reveal a whole other side of you and it makes me feel like I know you even better now :))). Also far out 14 stitches must have been so painful wow and there are so many delicious cuisines but I feel like Italian is also one of my favourites. Hope you are well ❀️❀️

Awe Cait, this message warms my heart and brings a smile to my face! You’re so awesome and kind, I’m very lucky to have gotten to know you too!! Yes, it was painful, such a crazy experience πŸ€ͺ! And I agree, so many amazing different cuisines!! πŸ’› I am well, thank you for asking! Hope you’re well too, lots of love πŸ’›πŸ€—!

9. I am salivating now.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Congratulations for the effort and the wonderful creation.β€οΈπŸ™

Haha, I’m glad to hear that!!! Thank you so much, your support and kind words mean a lot!!! Hugs and love dear friend πŸ–€πŸ€—

1. I am blessed. β€οΈπŸ€—

Hi! I nominated you for a tag! Guess you didn’t check it!

Hi Riya, I did see it and I liked your post! Thank you for the nomination, I sincerely appreciate it and am so touched you thought of me! I don’t think I’ll be able to get to it right now, my life is crazy crazy busy and rules kinda scare me. But you’re so kind friend, and I truly truly appreciate you thinking of me, blessed! Hugs and love friend πŸ€—πŸ–€

PS-I loved your post, wonderful answers and you are loved by many!!! 😊

11. Gosh, I’m sorry about your finger! It was remarkable to read of the efforts that went into your virtual cookbook. Cooking is such a beautiful art for those who enjoy it truly! Super excited for April!πŸ€—πŸ’•

Oh it’s alright, all part of the learning curve πŸ€ͺ. Thank you so much and I’m glad to hear that! Yes, cooking is quite the art! I truly appreciate all your love, kindness and support; always means a lot!!! Love and light, friend πŸ’›πŸ’«

1. No kidding πŸ˜‚ Always a pleasure reading your posts, Ace! Much love to you too!✨